ABCs of Reading is a three-hour, hands-on workshop that prepares adults to aid children in grades K-3 through the process of learning to read. The training is appropriate for classroom volunteers, tutors and community members who work with kids in an educational setting.
The training session was designed by the Minnesota Literacy Council in conjunction with the Minneapolis Public Schools and staff from the University of Minnesota. Activities included in the workshop were recommended by teachers, reading specialists, current and former tutors, and the children we serve.
This workshop will give you lots of practical ideas to use with students. Content covered in this workshop includes:
- Reading Overview - Explore the reading process and learn some of the challenges students face.
- Lesson Planning - Learn to plan lessons that include activities that will benefit children the most.
- Reading to Children - Examine the benefits of reading to children and learn ways to make it a fun and productive experience.
- Reading with Children - Learn a variety of strategies to support children with their reading and help them develop greater fluency and comprehension.
- Decoding Strategies - Pick up some great games for helping students learn and practice letter recognition and formation, sight reading, phonemic awareness, and phonics.
- Writing - Learn activities that will help kids practice the critical skill of writing.
The Minnesota Literacy Council is committed to providing access for people of all abilities to our trainings and events. To request special accommodations, please contact Julia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9059 at least two weeks in advance.